From Five Workers to Seven Thousand
"Intel Israel continues to grow, which will translate into a big drive to recruit workers in a variety of technological fields," said Maxine Fassberg, general manager of Intel Israel, and Vice President at Intel Corp (200
* 1974-Intel’s first design and development center outside the US (IDC) was opened in Haifa.
* 1985-Intel's FAB8, the first facility for the manufacture of microprocessors and memory outside the US, was opened at a cost of $1.8 billion. $600 million was invested by the Israeli Government, under the Encouragement of Capital Investments Law.
* 1997, The Intel Pentium processor was completed in Israel.
* 1999-The R&D center in Petach Tikva was opened its doors.
* 1999-Fab 18 opened in Kiryat Gat at a cost of $1.6 billion and today manufactures processors using 0.18² technology.
* 2001-The Intel facility in Yakum, which concentrates on creating innovative, practical chipsets for mobile platforms, was completed.
* 2003-Intel launched its Israel-designed Centrino Mobile Technology
* 2005-Fab28 broke ground as part of a new 4-building campus in Kiryat Gat. At 20,000 square meters, it is one of the largest projects ever built in Israel at a cost of close to $4 billion
* 2007-The Penryn, Intel’s next-generation processor based on 45 nanometer (nm) technologies, began production in Israel.
* 2008-Intel announced the intention to build a new plant in Jerusalem to replace existing Fab8.
* Intel is Israel's largest nongovernmental employer, with 6,000 workers in production and R&D.
Investments and Returns
* 1974-Intel established its first development center in Israel with an initial investment of $300,000 and a team of five workers.
* 1999-Intel purchased two local Israeli companies, DSPC for $1.6 billion cash and Dialogic for $780 million. In addition during 2004 Intel purchased Envara.
* 2005-Intel acquired Oplus Technologies Inc, of Yokneam, a leading provider of video processing products and technologies for digital television and digital displays.
* Intel Israel 's 2007 exports amounted to $1.54 billion, up 18.4 % from the previous year.
* To date, Intel's total investments in Israel reached $5.75billion, $3.5 billion in the Fab28 lab.