CompTIA Server Plus
Description : CompTIA''s Server+ certification offers industry recognition of server administration, troubleshooting, and management. This series equips you with all you need to know in order to pass the 2005 edition of the Server+ test (SK0-002). Learners will be presented with an up-to-date look at current server networking strategies from both the installation and servicing perspectives.
* Describe different server systems.
* Discuss the differences between general-purpose, appliance and application servers.
* Describe different server types.
* Explain how to use multi-tiered server architectures.
* Discuss the effects of server failure and reliability.
* Explain the concepts of clustering and scalability.
* Calculate high availability.
* Differentiate between fault tolerance and failover.
Multiprocessing and Server Memory
* Define the different types of multiprocessing systems.
* Explain the advantages and disadvantages to multiprocessing.
* Define multiprocessing systems.
* Discuss different types of RAM and where they are to be used.
* Explain the purpose of the buffer and the cache in terms of system memory.
Server Bus Architecture
* Describe the various local bus interfaces and chipsets.
* Explain bus mastering.
* Discuss the various high-performance I/O interfaces.
* List hardware technologies related to bus mastering.
* Discuss the development of the SCSI standard.
* Explain the details of SCSI bus speeds and widths.
* Discuss different types of SCSI connectors and cables.
* Explain the different methods that can be used for terminating a SCSI chain.
* Explain how SCSI addressing is handled.
* Describe different Internet applications of the SCSI standard.
IDE/ATA and RAID Systems
* Discuss the parallel ATA interface standards.
* List serial ATA interface standards.
* Explain the phases of network storage.
* Discuss the various RAID systems.
Advanced Storage Arrays
* Explain the benefits of Fibre Channel.
* Discuss the storage arrays Fibre Channel can use.
* Compare the storage devices that Fibre Channel uses.
* Identify the different cable, connector and converter types Fibre Channel uses.
* Explain how Fibre Channel transmission speeds are determined.
* Compare the bus lengths and topologies available to Fibre Channel.
* Explain how Fibre Channel bridges allow Fibre Channel to be used with other storage technologies.
* Describe the use of SAN, NAS, iSCSI and FCIP for network storage.
* Discuss the need for installation planning and verification.
* Discuss the power sources, cabling, and hardware a server installation requires.
* Explain the network protocols, access protocols, and network infrastructure involved in a server installation.
Server Management and Configuration
* Determine the manageability elements of a network, both data and storage.
* Explain the functions of security management over SANs and NAS infrastructures.
* Define the roles of in-band and out-of-band virtualization with networked storage environments.
* Determine the differences between the ESCON, telecom, and ESCOM models.
* Determine valid reasons for updating a server network using a preplanning method.
* Define the peripheral cabling types such as USB, FireWire, and serial ATA.
* Explain the importance of backup and recovery plans.
Preparing the Server for Service
* Name the two most commonly used network management protocols
* List the essential services that a system monitoring agent must provide
* Explain the purpose of performing a server baseline
* Specify what documents should be kept for troubleshooting purposes
* List what is included in a server management plan
* Explain the importance and requirements of a server network security plan
Upgrading the Basic System
* Determine proper downtime schedules for system upgrades.
* Perform basic system upgrades to BIOS, firmware, and processors.
* Build documentation procedures, including creating the baseline for future upgrades.
* Explain the differences in backup and data recover options.
* Determine best practices for handling ESD and grounds.
Adapters, Peripherals, Monitoring Agents and Service Tools
* Upgrade service adapter cards and peripheral devices.
* Choose a UPS for your system.
* Identify types of server monitoring and management.
* Describe network management protocols.
Maintenance and Environmental Issues
* Discuss the importance of performing backups and proactive maintenance.
* Explain the fundamentals of server security and the importance of physical security.
* Establish antitheft devices for all system hardware, including server racks.
Server Problem Determination
* Escalate problems properly.
* Evaluate the server startup process for problems.
* Determine if a server problem is caused by configuration errors, hardware failures or software problems.
* Use hardware diagnostic tools and utilities.
* Shut down different server operating systems.
* Measure, document, and analyze performance data.
* Identify and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks.
* Discuss the importance of rescheduling tasks and balancing resources.
* Create, update, and implement a disaster recovery plan.
* Select the best hardware and media to backup your data.
* Create a backup schedule and a backup rotation scheme.